Sunday, May 25, 2008

I have a new "Outlook"

Well, for those of you who know this news is really old news -- but it definitely deserves a blog entry. On the 5th of the month, I was driving up in Woods Cross coming home from work and was involved in a bad car accident that totalled our minivan and banged up my legs pretty badly. It was definitely the scariest thing that has happened to me in a long time. I was just driving straight heading toward the freeway when I guess the other car turning left failed to see me and pulled out in front of me. I basically hit them head on as I had NO time to react except slam into them. My airbags deployed and my seatbelt was on, but my knees were slammed up under the dash. I was taken to the hospital in the ambulance - I don't remember a lot except that I know I was hyperventilating and in shock. X-rays showed that nothing is broken or torn in my legs I just have contusions and bone bruising on both knees. Sometimes I have wondered if I would have been better if something was broken as these contusions have been incrediblely painful.

It has now been three weeks and I am finally getting back to life. I am still struggling with climbing stairs and I don't know if I will ever be able to crawl on my knees but I get better at getting around everyday. I have been told that I walk like a Grandma. We actually rented a wheelchair for a week or so, so I could get out to do a few things. Sadly, our vacation was planned for that next week so it was shortened and changed dramatically.

As for a new outlook - I am grateful for my husband and children more than ever. I am also really grateful for some good friends who basically took over for a week or so as I sat on my couch. I also appreciate my health and am grateful just to be able to get myself to the bathroom on my own accord. I don't like to think about if it had been worse. The only positive is that it has meant getting a new car. It is a Saturn "Outlook" and definitely the nicest car I have ever owned. Now if I can just get over the mental anxiety I have driving on a busy road and enjoy driving it.

3 comments:

Marc, Michelle, Jackson, and Bennett said...

Post a picture of this cool new Outlook! I am excited to see it. And I have to say you guys are too cool for a minivan. You definitely deserved something more awesomer (yes that is now a word). I am glad that you bought the car you really wanted, because that is a huge purchase and you really do need to love it (No hard feelings about not getting an Odessy...trust me. Marc was glad to show you around. So don't worry). I got your message, but I was so busy getting ready for our trip I didn't have a chance to call you, sorry. But we are home now and I will give you a call. Also, I am so glad that you are feeling better these days.

cassie said...

Wow! I didn't know the news, but that definitely sounds so scary. I am glad that you are back to getting around, I don't know how you did it with your kids and being a gimp:)At least you got a car out of it! Did you get an automatic liftgate for the wheelchair on that?:)

Martha said...

Megan, I'm so glad you are "okay". What a scary thing to happen!!! So, I want to hear more about the Outlook. We are needing a new car, and I love the GMC Acadia, but we're thinking the Outlook is just as good, but not as much $. What do you think - do you totally recommend it?